Sports

VOLLEYBALL

The Forester volleyball team put up an incredible fight against #7 Marian in a Wednesday night conference clash that ended with a 3-0 win, 25-20, 25-21, 25-23, for the visitors. The W preserves the Knights’ perfect season as they remain undefeated at 26-0 which includes a 14-0 record in CL action.

With two regulars season matches remaining, tonight’s victory also solidifies MU as the regular season league champs.

HU went toe-to-toe with one of the nation’s powerhouses by playing some of their best volleyball of the season. Herber’s crew stayed in attack mode to keep it close every set and the final stats were proof of that. The Foresters played within six kills of MU by logging 37 kills to their guests’ 43.

Abby Robinson led a balanced Forester attack with 12 kills. Lindsay Ingenito added nine kills while De’Janea Johnson added six.

As Huntington’s floor general, Morgan Robrock dished out 28 dimes and also led her team defensively with 12 digs. Hannah Maier and Maddie Boomershine were also active along the end line to chip in 11 digs each.

The Foresters finished with three aces and five service errors while their counterparts posted five aces and committed eight service blunders.

“This is as good as I can feel after a loss,” said Coach Kelsey Herber. “I love how hard we played. We executed our game plan and never mentally unraveled. I’m proud of the competitors I have on my team.

“The next step is for us to not be content with playing well against a good team but rather beating a good team. If we meet Marian in the conference tournament, I know we’ll have the confidence we need to rise to the challenge.”

HU (12-19, 4-12) takes a break from league play on Friday to host IU Northwest at 7:00 p.m.

Posted By: Joanne Green