General

Physical Security

We’ve talked a lot about information security this month, but did you know that your data is only as safe as the PHYSICAL security that it’s protected by?

The picture above may be funny, but this really happens! We jump through all these hoops to keep our data secure and private, but we forget the simple physical part of it.

Here are a few tips just to remind you of things you can do to keep safe.

• Never leave your electronic devices (cell phones, laptops, etc.) alone in a public place. You wouldn’t leave a $100 bill on a table in a coffee shop while you went to the restroom, right? Why would you leave your cell phone or laptop sitting out?
  • Always lock your screen when you have to leave your desk — even if it’s only for a minute! You never know who will wander by.
  • Don’t share accounts with other people. You might be careful with your account credentials, but the other person may not be.
  • Don’t write your passwords or any other sensitive information down on sticky notes. It’s just too easy for that information to be seen by the wrong eyes.
  • Lock your car if you leave your purse or laptop bag in it. I have to admit, I used to be guilty of this all the time, especially when I drove a 15 year old car and didn’t care about it getting stolen.

OK…I know the third tip isn’t really a “physical” security tip, but it’s REALLY important! 😊 Thanks for listening to me pontificate on security. It’s important, and I appreciate every one of you! You are our first and best line of defense, whether you are faculty, staff, or student. Security is something that we all are responsible for.

Posted By: Bob Landon – IT Services

Posted By: Bob Landon - IT Services